Our early days
We began life together in 2013 as Sunshine Coast Heart Specialists, operating from suites in SCUPH. Our goal was clear: to deliver world-class cardiac care for Sunshine Coast locals. From the very beginning, we believed there was a need for a comprehensive local service offering all sub-specialties of cardiology. Our directors—Drs Larsen, Johnson, Lim and Butterly—were all practising separately but came together to create a ‘heart team’ that covered every area of coronary care.
Since those early days, our practice has led the way in service delivery and innovation, pioneering the introduction of many cardiac procedures and tests on the Sunshine Coast including:
- STEMI/Primary percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) service for private patients
- Complex PCI, including rotational atherectomy
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO)/atrial septal defect (ASD) closure
- Left atrial appendage closure (LAAC)
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVR)
- Subcutaneous implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- Micra (leadless) permanent pacemaker (PPM)
- Pulmonary venous isolation (PVI)/atrial fibrillation (AF) ablation
- 3D transoesophageal echocardiogram (TOE) valve assessment
- CT coronary angiogram (CTCA).
SCUPH helping us help more patients
In 2017, cardiac surgery commenced at SCUPH and more than 500 cases have been performed to date. Working closely with locally-based cardiac surgeons, many lives have been saved through immediate access to cardiac surgery services. This has been a game-changer for patients and their families who previously had to travel to Brisbane for interventional treatment.
Heart HQ has also been integral in establishing a multidisciplinary heart team at SCUPH. This program brings together a range of coronary experts to thoroughly assess local cardiac cases and ensure patients receive appropriate treatment based on world-standard guidelines.
Where we are now
Today, Heart HQ operates from bespoke facilities in Sippy Downs where we have created the Sunshine Coast’s first and only CT Clinic and Murmur Clinic. We have also provided easier access to quality cardiac care by establishing clinics in Buderim, Noosa-Tewantin, Gympie, Nambour and Caboolture.
Our history may be short but it is proud. We look forward to building on our legacy of world-class cardiac care for local patients in the years to come.